Monday, April 6, 2015

All About Buildings

I didn't start out to do a day of buildings...but that is how it ended up.

First up:  Petronas Twin Towers, the flagship building of Kuala Lumpur.  For several years, the Twin Towers were the tallest building in the world; now they are only the tallest TWIN towers.  Though I was ambivalent about actually going up to the connecting walkway (a bit pricey for a view), I opted to go and see them up close and personal.

Good think I did not really want to go up .... they were closed today.  So I walked the perimeter of the towers and said enough.  There are 2 high end shopping malls (one connected to each tower)  so you could not even walk all the way around.

Next up:  Masjid Jamek, one of the earliest mosques built in KL at the confluence of the Sungai Gombak and Sungai Kelang in 1909.  It is a lovely building completely surrounded by construction.  And while they let non-Muslims on the grounds, you really can see nothing of the inside.

Here is my "kindness of strangers" story of the day.  KL has a couple of free bus routes that circle the main tourist attractions and key businesses.  So I jumped on the Green Line to go to the Petronas Twin Towers.  But, nothing is labelled and nothing is announced; stop after stop goes by.  Suddenly I realized I had not gotten off at the recommended bus stop (JL Convention Center) because  there behind me were the Towers.  The bus drove a bit and I figured I would get off at the next stop and just walk back .... when suddenly, the bus pulled over to the curb and the rear door opened.  Not one word had been spoken (and I was in the back of the bus.)  I scooted off, found a trail through a lovely city park, and there were the Towers.  Someone is always watching (out for) you!





This was logo on the robe I was required to don at the Mosque.
I was already hot enough without a robe on & head covered!



No comments:

Post a Comment