Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Perils of Poor Language Skills

Caroline has allowed me to guest write again, this time writing about my lack of Spanish vocabulary and how it has effected my experience here in Mexico.

Some background first. When I was 19 I spent a year working in Germany and picked up enough of their language to keep out of trouble. Looking like a German could have helped too. But all these years later, my brain says my foreign language is German and every so often it comes out of context.

Now to my story: Last Spring we needed haircuts and found Olga. You'd think she spoke German but no, that's not the story line. We liked what she did and returned 2 months later for haircuts. That time she changed my 40 year old hair style from a right side part to all straight back. I didn't like it at first but after a few day came to really enjoy the change. I directed two salons to duplicate it when Stateside this Summer. Last week Caroline went for her standard trim and Olga again did a great job. So a few days later so did I.

Upon entering the shop I was struck with thoughts, that something wasn't the same. It didn't look like Olga, the place looked messy, the smell of a perm going on was strong and then when waiting my turn an obvious transvestite came out of a back room and kissed the beautician on his/her way out. For all my doubts, I don't know why I didn't leave.

Then it was my turn and I tried to say, just a little off all over. She gave me a choice between scissors or razor. I went with scissors and she began to cut, and cut, trim and cut more.   Instead of looking at my hair directly, she was using the wall mounted mirror to even things up. All I can say is I should have shouted "ALTO" several times, but didn't. My language skills are just so lacking in this venue that I came out looking like a hedgehog and know it's the worst haircut ever had. Only costing 4$ how can I complain?   It will just grow out in time.  Oh yeah, when Caroline showed up she asked where Olga was, so my doubts were correct.  Go with the gut...or look like a hedgehog.




On another note, looking back at the last posting, did you get it that we're living in La Paz and in Spanish it means Peace? That's why I did it...












No comments:

Post a Comment