Friday, March 27, 2015

Bangkok Scene

I had a last day in Bangkok.  Wandered around China Town and Little India.  I picked out a pair of flip flops to buy but OH SORRY, 6 pair minimum.  No way.

This morning (early) I was trudging to the local bus station to catch an airport bus.  The going rate for a cab to the domestic airport is $40 US or so -- definitely made the local bus a great option at $1 US.  You just have to trust the bus will actually come!  It did.  I am now enjoying the hedonistic pleasures of Thailand's beach scene!

But this morning, I stumbled on the local Alms Ceremony.  In pairs the monks stood off to the edge of the sidewalk (away from the street).  Local pedestrians saw the monks; quickly went to the ubiquitous street food stalls; bought a meal and made their donation.  It was amazing to watch!

In a few places individuals were 4-5 deep in line to make the donation.  They stood silently and prayed; when it was their turn -- the food went in the bowl and they knelt down.  The monk gave some sort of blessing and then the donor got up and went on with their day.

I was struck by how many pedestrians stopped & stood patiently to make a food donation.  Making merit.

The monks got a nice selection of food & yes, the street hawkers made a bit of money!

No pictures, alas, the camera was tucked in my backpack.  And it felt in a way, too intrusive.  From me the Monk Stalker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment