Thursday, March 19, 2015

Lucky Lucky

Today I set out to have a Lucky Lucky Day.

It started early as I decided to go to the Alms Giving Ceremony.  Buddhist monks walk the streets barefoot each morning with bowls.  The faithful donate rice or other food items into the bowls.  No words are spoken.  The monks line up and walk quietly -- those donating try to get a few grains of rice or a banana into each bowl.

Through out this trip I have been a "monk stalker" -- trying to capture pictures of them in daily scenes --  so I thought today I would arise and be a "faithful" donor.  Donated food is all the monks will eat each day.  They have 2 meals:  breakfast and lunch.  No food is eaten after mid day.  I had gone once to a Monk Chat and a young Monk described the schedule:  up at 4am to meditate, walk the streets,  breakfast, school, lunch, more studies and then evening mediation.  When asked about not eating in the evening -- he just looked at us and said:  I am always hungry.  Well, no wonder!

I walked to one of the larger Temples & the rice sellers were out hawking early.  I bought rice and a basket of fruit & crackers.  And then the Monks just appeared down the street and walked in a measured pace.  And believe me, sticky rice is hard to pull apart and drop into their bowls very quickly.  I bought more rice as they kept coming--quietly with eyes down cast.  And then, all done.

A contented start to my Lucky Lucky Day!

My Sticky Rice & a bowl of fruits and cookies.

Here is the view from the donor's mat!



I plan to give this flavor combo a pass!

Wat Ho Pho Bang -- home to the Pha Bang for which the city is named.
It is an 83 cm tall gold alloy Buddha (no pictures allowed) -- and it arrived in the City in 1512
Oh, and when you need to move your satellite dish...any tuk-tuk will do!

1 comment: