Thursday, March 28, 2013

You Have to be Watching!

We spent a delightful time in Puerto Ballandra.  Hiking, fishing, kayaking -- just enjoying everything the Sea can offer EXCEPT snorkeling as the water is still too cold for me.

We found our anchor yesterday afternoon and began our slow move south to LaPaz.  Our trip was a bit of everything -- no wind to 25 knots (on the nose of course).  But I faithfully sat on deck with my binocs and scanned the water.  You won't see the sea life if you aren't watching.

I could hear Alan fiddling with something down bellow.  So I called out "Alan" and then suddenly a whale blew right off our port stern.  ALAN, ALAN, ALAN I called out!  It's a whale!!

The massive beast was moving slowly on a reciprocal course off our port side.  The whale slowly turned and we could see his flank.  He blew a few times and then dove.

Based on all the signs -- we identified it as a Blue Whale -- one of the largest mammals on earth.

It was a treat!  I'm glad I was watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment