Friday, February 13, 2015

Flashes of Orange

One of the joys of wandering the Temples is the occasional flash of orange or glimpse of any color.  The Temples are "unadorned" by paintings or gold leaf or bronze; nothing but shapes and shadows and stairs and towers and courtyards and long hallways.

One of the more stirring moments occurred at Ankgor Wat a few moments after sunrise.  While many tourists were still snapping away at the hazy outline of the central tower, I entered through one of the gates and wandered along the deserted hallways and into small alcoves.  From afar I heard chanting and I headed that way:  towards the Hall of the 1,000 Buddhas.  At first I only saw 5 monks seated and chanting but behind the pillars there was a young boy and his family.  As I watched it became clear that he was entering the priesthood at that moment.  His head was shaved, there were multiple rounds of prayer and song.  Then the ritual ended; the monks left together; and the young boy broke into a wide smile.  I felt transfixed.

So here are some of my favorite "orange" pictures.














No comments:

Post a Comment