Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Phnom Penh

A different city.  A different country.

More folks speak English.  They use US dollars (in addition to Rials) and ATMs give out dollars.  There are kids working the streets (I never saw this in Vietnam).  The food culture appears limited to the tourists who have a million options.  How about Mexican / Khmer?  And the streets...well, not all of them are marked so navigating is more challenging.  Especially since when the street signs are there...mostly it is in a totally foreign script!

But...I thrilled to the National Art Museum show casing sculptures from the Khmer era.  The museum was well signed in Khmer/French/English and I learned alot.

And I had a foot massage.  I never knew that a foot massage included the whole lower leg and starts at the knee?  This was done at the Daughters Cafe & Spa, a well loved local NGO that helps former sex workers make transitions to a better life.  My bit for helping...

I exited the cafe and heard a loud speaker and drumming.  I saw a long processions of Buddhist monks in orange robes.  I first thought:  oh no, not a political rally!  Then I remembered I am not in Thailand yet!!  It turns out today was a Cambodian holiday -- some thing related to Buddhism, so the monks and faithful were out.

Great day.

I think it says:  Welcome to Cambodia

Museum.  Well marked and stunning examples of classic Khmer art


There is a story there....

Marching monks...and young gal taking donations from crowd
The traffic just stopped and waited for the parade to pass



After the parade:  everyone is photographer

The world of tuk-tuks.  So nice for getting around town



No comments:

Post a Comment