Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Bit of a Downer

Today was not a great day.  Not a fun day.  Just a day that showed another side of Vietnam.

I went to the War Remnants Museum -- sure there was a dose of propaganda -- but the modern era has given Vietnam a few challenges.  The French and the Americans.  I thought the presentation was very well done -- mostly photos; many quotes.  "Truth Telling" gave the North version of the conflict; there was a display on the many photojournalists who perished covering the war; and of course Agent Orange.  Not a cheery way to start the day.

Then down to the Reunification Palace; formerly South Vietnam's Presidential Palace.  It was a marked contrast to see the displays of "this is where they planned the war" after seeing the war pictures.  Anyway, the place was crawling with tourists and a few crooks.

And yes, despite what I thought was a good defense (locked backpack and no purse) a few crooks managed to steal my Prescription Sunglasses and bust open the lock on the backpack.  I have no idea when it happened.  I went to put my glasses on as I left and OOPS!!  But they did not get any money or passport or cards:  that was really tucked away in my waist belt.  And at least it was the sunglasses they stole NOT my everyday glasses.

But it creeped me out.  A very nice tour guide who spoke English tried to help (the guards were having lunch and said too bad);  he wrote a note sent me to a friends optical shop.  He could make me new glasses in just a few hours but Yikes!!!! Way to much.  So I bought some of those flip up shades.  Pretty ugly but makes my glasses dark enough to really protect in the sun.

Then I went to lunch.  And ordered a grilled banana in sticky rice in coconut sauce.  And an iced Vietnamese sweet coffee.  The waiter says to me:  That is a dessert.  And I said:  I want dessert.  And so it came and was stunningly delicious.

But I am done with the city.  Tomorrow to the country side.





No comments:

Post a Comment