Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Riding to Hoi An

If there is a symbol of modern Vietnam it must be the motorbike, motorcycle, scooter:  you name it!  I jumped (literally) at the chance to ride a motorbike up and over the mountains ("ocean cloud pass") along Vietnam National Road 1 from Hue to Hoi An.

I opted for a ride along trip -- they did the driving and I did the riding.  It was an all day adventure because we stopped at several small villages, a "sliding rock" in the mountains, a seafood buffet by a lagoon famous for fishing, and multiple other sites.  There were 5 tourist riders and 4 bikes (1 couple rode together on their bike).

It was BRILLIANT!  And now I spend a few days in Hoi An, the historic trading City of Vietnam.

Off I go ... she is my driver.

Traditional lifestyles remain in the villages

Banana Cakes made with Rice Flour




Moving water from river to rice paddy.



Upstream against traffic.  

Rock statue to honor all the extinct elephants?

Climbing the pass.  22 km up and over or 7 km through the tunnel.



Looking back.  On the south side -- much warmer and clearer.  A change in the climate.  



No comments:

Post a Comment