Saturday, January 31, 2015

Can Tho

Can Tho is the big city of the Mekong Delta -- a bustling, mostly modern city of over a million.  But the real heart of the Delta is back in the country along narrow waterways hidden behind dense foliage.  The best way to understand the south here is getting out of the city and into the country.

So I signed up for a tour; a bit reluctant at the 5:15am start.  But the floating markets begin about 3am so this would allow seeing of one market (of mostly wholesalers) and a smaller market (for village folks).  Both of these were along the main Mekong channel; after the floating markets we headed the boat up side channels till the water was too shallow (esp on a low tide day).  Then we walked for an hour; my guide was exceptional.  He had grown up in the Delta and could identify all the plants along the trail.  By the time we arrived at a small restaurant I had the makings of a meal in my hand.

The Mekong is a big and busy waterway.  Huge barges of everything go up and down; fishing vessels; delivery ships; ferries; and all sorts of small traditional crafts.

It was a great day.  Tomorrow I head to the border with Cambodia and cross over on Monday.  So this was my last look at Vietnam -- a country of many dimensions.

Rice.  Rice.  Rice.

Everywhere flowers.  And the town is setting up special flower booths (in the middle of the street) to sell plants for TET.  

My guide telling me to watch my step.  Like um.....


Rain water for drinking and cooking.  The Mekong for everything else.


This is a Monkey Bridge -- 1 pole wide.  Not for me.


Every boat has the same eyes and face on it.  Tradition from the days when the Delta was full of crocs and snakes.


I think we are selling pineapple today

Samples of goods for sale are hung from the poles.

Bumper boats



Finally a boat selling coffee.





Even in the Delta -- the cell phone comes along

No comments:

Post a Comment