Saturday, January 10, 2015

Walking and Walking

So...night #1 in a hostel...slept through everything and everyone coming and going!  Most of my dorm mates are also in Singapore en-route to somewhere else in a few days.   Everyone has a story and I'm thrilled to hear and imagine so many adventures.

Today my goal:  walk through town to the Asian Civilizations Museum, try at least one new food, and take more pictures.  I did all that and more.  Lasting impression:  everything in Singapore is under construction.  I don't think I found one block that did NOT have a bee hive of work, even on a Saturday.  New subways, new mega shopping centers, new hotels, new housing blocks, new you name it.

The new food was Kaya Toast...for breakfast at the hostel.  It is a coconut jam made with coconut + egg yolks + sugar.  Not a really strong coconut flavor, but yummy on whole wheat toast, fruit, and coffee that could "hold up a spoon".

The Asian Civilizations Museum is dedicated to exploring the rich artistic heritage of Asia through a collection of works of art, artifacts, jewelry, and other items.  Singapore is strategically located at the crossroads of Asia --- essentially a spot that could capitalize on the monsoon winds -- so it has long experienced influences from China to India.  A significant part of the exhibit traced the influences of Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam.

My wanderings lead me through all sorts of places -- Singapore is a vibrant and bustling city with a mix of "old colonial" sections,  skyscraper business districts, 24 hour shopping centers, and modern architecture.   And I figured out that traffic stays to the left...no wonder when I was walking on the right I was swimming "upstream".   Guess I finally woke up!


The University had a "Justice for All" Walk/Run with this entertainment following.

Washing the Parliament Building.  

Can there be smaller tires on a smaller bike?????

The downtown skyline near Singapore River is jammed with skyscrapers.

New Art/Science Museum and in the background...well...I don't know what that building is!

Year of the Goat Stamp Exhibition & Sale


No comments:

Post a Comment