Sunday, January 25, 2015

Ho Chi Mihn City....

Crowded.  Noisy.  Vibrant.  A high octane city that is a combination of commerce and culture.  And food!  And motorbikes.  I just can't imagine what Uncle Ho would make of the place.  Mercedes, Starbucks, Apple, KFC, Burberry, Audi..they are all here.

The estimated population is over 7 million and I promise you there are more bikes than residents.  And they are all going somewhere.  Darting in and out.  In HCMC  the bikes seem to be more about moving people rather than goods about.  There are a few intrepid cyclists and even fewer pedestrians.  And that would be me.

At this point, I just plunge into the traffic.  And like magic...the pulsing traffic just goes around me.

Today -- the History Museum (no pictures allowed) was a wonderful place with great exhibits in Vietnamese, French, and English. The Jade Pagoda.  And walking the streets.  I found a market, an exhibition of wildlife pictures (birds in mating colors!), and a food in the park event.  Even a baking competition.    I made some plans for the next few days and even got a hair cut:  much to the pleasure of all the other Vietnamese ladies in the tiny shop.  Better cut than my last few in the states!

The food....oh my!




You buy the birds in the cages and then go into the Pagoda and set them free.  Not sure why?

Pump up that Flat!


Lunch at a restaurant that actually is tables surrounded by many "street cooks".  You order the dish and it is made to order.
Stir fried corn with garlic, onion, dried shrimp, and hot sauce.  Chilled white Vietnamese coffee.  About $5.00



Notice that the lady has a griddle and is making "pizzelle" over a charcoal fire





No comments:

Post a Comment