Thursday, January 29, 2015

Life on the River

It was time to leave the city of Saigon behind.  Big, busy, noisy, and honestly -- it never felt like a city with any soul.  Just a place busting with energy and going somewhere.

So I left on a tour of the Mekong River/Delta -- I had booked my own home stay in a small town -- and the tour was almost as cheap as the hassle of the public bus.  Plus I got to have a running commentary on changing life in the Delta and visit a few "made for tourists" demonstrations of candy making, rice wine making, and such.

But I was glad to arrive at the home stay and settle into a more quiet, less hectic day or two.  I needed to catch my breath and this is perfect.

Sample fruit stall from a floating river market.  These are fading away as transportation improves and highways built



One of many small ferries to cross the river channels.  The area is channel after channel after channel

The dirty secret of Vietnam.  

Best boat yard on the river


Part of the tour was a long boat ride to lunch.  Very quiet once off the main channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment